Travel search
Can't find it? Try searching for it :)

Fáskrúðsfjörður

Fáskrúðsfjörður is in the centre of the eastfjords, in between peninsulas Vattarnes and Hafnarnes. At the bottom of the fjord there is a grassy valley with lovely arctic woodlands. The route from Reyðarfjörður along the coast is very scenic and should not be missed. It offers great views to the hollow cliff island of Skrúður. The island is home to a colourful birdlife, with the unique wonder the 'Puffin Cave' sheltering thousands of puffins and a great colony of Gannets that can be seen plunging like arrows into the water. The town at the bottom of the fjord goes by the name of Búðir, but everyone calls it Fáskrúðsfjörður. The town became a trading post in 1880. From the latter part of the 19th century until 1935, the town was the main hub for French fishermen off East of Iceland. The town is famous for its French heritage and has a strong connection to its French counterpart, Gravelines. It is worth while to visit the French Museum and learn more about these historical connections. There used to be a French consul, a French hospital and a French chapel. It is also believed that France had a say in the fact that the district doctor was positioned in Búðir. The village road signs are also in French. Don't forget to visit the local Café which is known for great cakes and refreshments that can be enjoyed in cosy surroundings. An eligeble place to stay is the farm Tunguholt.

Just outside the town is a graveyard, the burial place of 49 known French sailors. The former French hospital, erected in 1903 and notorious for being haunted, is currently being restored to its former glory.

Com_232_1___Selected.jpg
Fáskrúðsfjörður
GPS Points N64° 56' 3.775" W14° 1' 0.837"
Postal codes

750

Population

660

Travel directory for Fáskrúðsfjörður

The official travel index of Iceland

Others

Fáskrúðsfjörður Swimming Pool
Swimming Pools
  • Skólavegur 39
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-9045
Fáskrúðsfjörður Library
Libraries & Archives
  • Hlíðargötu 46
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-9016
Guesthouse Tunguholt
Guesthouses
  • Tungu
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-1374, 897-1376

Others

Guesthouse Tunguholt
Guesthouses
  • Tungu
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-1374, 897-1376
Fáskrúðsfjörður Camping Ground
Camping
  • Hafnargata 12
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 776-0062

Others

Café Sumarlína
Cafés
  • Búðavegur 59
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-1575
Restaurant Söluskáli Stefáns Jónssonar
Restaurants
  • Búðavegur 60
  • 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
  • 475-1405
Nature
Sandfell

Sandfell is a distinctive 743m. high rhyolite mountain between Stöðvarfjörður and Fáskrúðsfjörður. The best approach is from the south side of Fáskrúðsfjörður. The trail leaves the coastal road between Víkurgerði and Vík farms and proceeds along the Víkurgerðisá River before cutting west for the peak. The scenery is excellent en route, with views of Fáskrúðsfjörður, Andey and Skrúður islands. The ascent + descent takes approx. 5 hours..

History and Culture
The French Graveyard - le cimetiere francais

Just outsidde the village Búðir in Fáskrúðsfjörður, you will find the French graveyard. The graveyard is from the times of the French sailors who came to Fáskrúðsfjörður for many years. There are 49 known graves in the yard.

Nature
Skrúður

Skrúður is a island haven in the mouth of fjord Fáskrúðsfjörður. It is surrounded by high cliffs accessible only to the bold and brave. On the island there is a sizable cave which was occasionally used as a shelter for sailors making their way southwards. Legends say there were three giant brothers living in the East, one of whom made his home in Skrúður, the other in Streitishvarf and the third on the island of Papey. The Skrúður dweller abducted his wife from the on-shore vicarage of Kolfreyjustaður; the local priest´s young daughter. Legends relating to their insular existence lived among the sailors who visited the island.

Nature
Kolfreyjustaður

The vicarage Kolfreyjustaður in Fáskrúðsfjörður dates back to the year 1878 many old and beautiful artifacts are there to be seen. The place swarms with stories and legends. The troll Kolfreyja lends her name to the site and her fellow troll lived in the island of Skrúður.

History and Culture
The French hospital, l´hopital francais

For 70 years,the French Hospital was located in the former agglommeration of Hafnarnes in Fáskskrúðsfjörður, having been moved by sea from the village of Búðir in 1939 . Originally it was built in 1903 as a hospital for the French sailors who frequented the banks off the shore during that period. The declining building was moved back to Fáskrúðsfjörður in the autumn of 2010 for restauration purposes.

East Iceland

Towns & Villages

Each town in East Iceland has its own characteristics. In some of the coastal villages the influence of North European neighbours is obvious to everyone. 

The French made a strong impact in Fáskrúðsfjörður where the road signs are made out in French as well as in Icelandic. Norwegian influence is easily detected in the Eskifjörður and Seydisfjörður architecture. No such roots are to be seen in Egilsstadir which is latest addition to East Iceland agglomeration, founded in the late forties of the 20th century.  

Map Vopnafjörður Borgarfjörður Eystri Egilsstaðir Seyðisfjörður Mjóifjörður Fljótsdalshérað Neskaupstaður Breiðdalsvík Eskifjörður Reyðarfjörður Fáskrúðsfjörður Stöðvarfjörður Djúpivogur