Travel search
Can't find it? Try searching for it :)

Bustarfell Museum

The Museum, i.e.the relics , were given to Vopnafjörður by Elín Methúsalemsdóttir in the year 1982. The houses on the other hand were sold to the Icelandic nation in 1943 by Methúsalem Methúsalemsson and are taken care of and preserved by the Icelandic National Museum.

The mud and wood floor house contains many treasure filled rooms, antiques and sepia tone photographs, fitted with fine furnishings, just the same as when the family house lived in, each room, fronted with a timbered gable and all interconnected by a series of low ceiling passages or hallways often only lit by shark or seal oil brass lamps .

The rooms are as such: badstofa (living room), baejardyr (front hall) skemma or skali (sheds), stofur (parlours), hlada (storehouse), a palli hjonahus (upstairs master chambers) bur (pantry) a few eldhus (kitchens) which each tell a story of hard work and determination while reflecting the stages of modernization through the decades.

The sheds usually kept horse bridles and saddlery, along with farm tools, such as turf saddles, spades, forks, hoes and scythes , for work on the tun (homefield) and occasionally animal meal and hay.

A pantrys walls were lined with tubs, barrels and casks to store sour milk, skyr, and whey.

Kitchens contained open fire rock pits, bowls, dishes, jugs, pots, pans and pails and often from the wooden rafters , hung rowes of smoked meat.

The Museum shows clearly the lifestyle changes that occured from the time it was rebuildt until the family moved into the "new house". Guests can follow the difference in the standards for quality, for example when there came running water into the house, and a heating system.

But to see it, feel it and sense it is always the best experience. We welcome you for a visit.

Bustarfell Museum


GPS Points N65° 36' 51.253" W15° 5' 57.189"


Opening period 10/06 - 10/09

Travel directory for Bustarfell Museum

The official travel index of Iceland


Kristín Brynjólfsdóttir / Marrgét Arthursdottir
Tour Operators
  • Syðri-Vík
  • 690 Vopnafjörður
  • 473-1199, 848-0641, 869-0148
23.11 km

Múlastofa in Kaupvangur is a memorial exhibition featuring the works of the brothers Jón Múli and Jónas Árnason, both of whom were born in Vopnafjörður. In connection with the exhibition an annual culture festival is held in August.

History and Culture
0.11 km

Bustarfell is one of the few remaining turf farms in East Iceland. It is located in Hofsárdalur in Vopnafjörður. The farmhouses were originally erected in 1770 but has undergone many changes through the years. The lodgings were inhabited until 1966. Since then they have been under the protection of the National Museum. Bustarfell is a very active hertiage museum today and on special occasions worksops are set afoot to commemorate ways and workmanship of days of yore.. Located next to the farm is the "Croft café". A hiking path takes visitors to the "Stone of the Elf lady", the source of a legendary tale.


East Iceland

Towns & Villages

Each town in East Iceland has its own characteristics. In some of the coastal villages the influence of North European neighbours is obvious to everyone. 

The French made a strong impact in Fáskrúðsfjörður where the road signs are made out in French as well as in Icelandic. Norwegian influence is easily detected in the Eskifjörður and Seydisfjörður architecture. No such roots are to be seen in Egilsstadir which is latest addition to East Iceland agglomeration, founded in the late forties of the 20th century.  

Map Vopnafjörður Borgarfjörður Eystri Egilsstaðir Seyðisfjörður Mjóifjörður Neskaupstaður Breiðdalsvík Eskifjörður Reyðarfjörður Fáskrúðsfjörður Stöðvarfjörður Djúpivogur