Skip to content

East Iceland has all kinds of museums which tell the rich history that this part of the country has. 

Sláturhúsið
The Center for Art and Culture in Fljotsdalsherad (MMF) is located in Slaturhusid, Egilsstadir. As a Center for Performing Arts we are inspired every day to create, share, teach, excite and perform for our community. Although performing arts are our main focus we also host art exhibitions. Director of MMF is Ragnhildur Asvaldsdottir
Museum of Natural History Neskaupstaður
A new and interesting museum which displays the best of Icelandic nature; Icelandic mammals, shellfish, birds, insects and stone collection as well as specimens from the East Icelandic flora. Hours of Operation: June, July, and August: 13:00 - 17:00 daily or by arrangement with the manager, tel. 470 9063
East Iceland Heritage Museum
The East Iceland Heritage Museum was founded in 1943 and since then its aims has been to preserve the history of East Iceland by collecting and preserving things that reflect the society, culture and everyday life of people in the area, from past to present day.  The museum has two permanent exhibitions, one about the reindeers in East Iceland and one about the old rural household in the region. The museum also has diverse temporary exhibitions through the year.  Reindeer in East IcelandThe East is the only part of Iceland where you will find wild reindeer. They contribute to the unique nature and are strongly connected to the region’s history and culture. The focus of the exhibition is on their nature, characteristics, and survival, as well as reindeer hunting and how reindeer products have contributed to a creative development of fashion design and handcraft.  The old rural household as a self-sufficient entityOn display are items from the historical, rural community in East-Iceland up until the mid-20th century. Some items relate to a practical role in everyday life, while others bear witness to the fact that life was not only about basic survival but also about creating beautiful things for decoration and pleasure. Among things on display is a living room (baðstofa) of an Icelandic turf house.  For more information, please visit www.minjasafn.is
French sailors in Iceland
The avant-garde exhibition in The French Museum in Fáskrúðsfjörður is the newest of Fjarðabyggð's museums and collections. This museum is located in two stately buildings, the Doctor's House and the French Hospital as they are called, built by the French fishermen around 1900. However, the main attraction of the exhibition is situated in a tunnel that connects the two buildings. The entrance to the museum is from the hotel reception area in the Doctor's House.  In the museum, the interesting history and legacy of the French sailors in Iceland is shown by means of the latest multimedia technology. The French sailors maintained a station at Fáskrúðsfjörður from the mid-19thcentury till the First World War, with the number of French sailing ships off Iceland peaking at between 200 and 300. However, the history of French cod fishing off Iceland goes back even further, all the way to the 17th century. During this long history, many ships never made it back to their home country. It is estimated that up to 400 of them were lost around Iceland, along with 4,000-5,000 seamen. Down by the French graveyard, a monument has been erected in honour of these heroes of the sea who were subjected to hard work, dampness and cold, not to mention accidents.   Their fishing operations were highly important for villages on the northern French coast; for example, in Dunkerque in the 1860s, approximately 6,000 people were employed in relation to fishing off Iceland. These operations were also significant for other villages, such as Paimpol and Gravelines. The renovation of the French heritage buildings, one of the largest historical restoration outside the capitol area, was finished in the summer of 2014. The five French buildings play a substantial role in local culture and society in Fáskrúðsfjörður. The French Hospital, for example, now serves as a hotel with the restaurant l'Abri on the ground floor. The Chapel is the only building that still maintains its original role and is open for guests of the museum. The museum is open daily from 10:00 to 18:00 (from May to end of August, or by agreement).
Randulffs-sjóhús
Randulff´s Sea House is located by the sea in Eskifjördur. It is during the summer months 2011 and Randulff´s restaurant serves dinner according to a traditional local menu in a unique atmosphere. Randulff´s seahouse is also open for groups by arrangement. Randulff's Sea House is open during the summer from 12 - 21 every day of the week. The chefs have made a marvelous menu that focuses on fresh and local ingredients.   Randulff´s Sea House is a beautifully preserved shore-building towards the eastern end of Eskifjörður. Today this fine old house preserves both many artifacts and a lingering atmosphere from the days when the establishment of a herring fishery led to the first real growth of the fjord towns of East Iceland in the late 19th and early 20th century. Built by Norwegian Peter Randulff in 1890, it provided a station for landing and processing herring caught within the fjord through to 1930 when there was no longer sufficient herring coming into the fjord to sustain the fishery. When herring finally returned to the seas off East Iceland in the late 1950s the fishery involved large ships fishing further off-shore and landing their catches at ports like Siglufjörður, Húsavík, and Vopnafjörður in the north. As a result, for the next 75 years, this sturdy old sea-house remained closed. In 1980 The East Iceland Maritime Museum (Sjóminjasafn Austurlands) became a part-owner of Randulff´s sea-house leading to the restoration of both the exterior of the building and the adjoining jetty. In 2003 the society became the sole owner of the house and in 2008 was re-opened in co-operation with the nearby Mjóeyri guesthouse and tourism centre. It has since been available both as an extension of the excellent Eskifjörður maritime museum and as a place where groups are able to sample traditional Icelandic fare in a setting that has changed little in the past one hundred years. It also provides the base from which Mjóeyri guesthouse rents out small boats with outboard motors for recreational fishing within the fjord where cod and haddock are still plentiful. In 1980 The East Iceland Maritime Museum (Sjóminjasafn Austurlands) became a part-owner of Randulff´s sea-house leading to the restoration of both the exterior of the building and the adjoining jetty. In 2003 the society became the sole owner of the house and in 2008 was re-opened in co-operation with the nearby Mjóeyri guesthouse and tourism centre. It has since been available both as an extension of the excellent Eskifjörður maritime museum and as a place where groups are able to sample traditional Icelandic fare in a setting that has changed little in the past one hundred years. It also provides the base from which Mjóeyri guesthouse rents out small boats with outboard motors for recreational fishing within the fiord where cod and haddock are still plentiful.
Auroras Iceland
In a small village on the east coast of Iceland, TheIcelandic House of the Northern Lights opened in May 2016. You can enjoy thenorthern lights exhibition in Wathne´s House (Auroras Iceland). The exhibitionis based on the magnificent photos shot by Jónína and Jóhanna and is called"Dance With the Mountains." The photos are shot in Fáskrúðsfjörðurwhere majestic mountains circle the fjord and make the northern lightsexperience unique. It is open June 15 through August 20, from 12:00 till 18:00and on request other time of the year. Everyone is welcome to enjoy thiswonderful exhibition.           
War Museum
At the Icelandic Wartime Museum, you can travel back to the days of the Second World War and the military occupation of Reyðarfjörður. The museum gives a vivid insight into life during the war in a country which has never had an army or been at war - with this one exception. The focus is on the impact of the occupation on the local population. On the first of July, there is a festival in memory of this unique event in Icelandic history.
Breiðdalssetur
BREIÐDALSSETUR - Science and heritage centre Located in Breiðdalsvík's oldest house „Gamla Kaupfélagið“, built in 1906: Breiðdalssetur facilitates earth and literary research activities focused on East Iceland, as well as hosting exhibitions on geology, linguistics and local history. The exhibitions are about: The geology of Norðfjarðargöng tunnel, newest tunnel in Iceland, science and the mineral Iceland spar, the writer and linguist Stefán Einarsson from Breiðdalur valley (1897-1972), the geology and minerals of the Eastern Fjords and the world famous British volcanologist George P.L.Walker (1926-2005). Occasionally Breiðdalssetur centre is also called „the Walker Centre“.  Open by appointment  Entrance fee 500 KR.
Steinasafn Petru
Ljósbjörg Petra María Sveinsdóttir was interested in stones all her life and started to collect them in earnest in 1946. Most of her stones were found in Stöðvarfjörður and other places in East Iceland because Petra didn´t go much looking for stones in other parts of the country. In 1974, Petra decided to open her home for all those that wished to look at her stones.  Petra´s receives many visitors each year and it has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in East Iceland. It´s obvious to all those that visit Petra´s, that she was an efficient stone collector but not many people know that she collected more than stones.  Petra collected marked pens, cups, and numerous other small paraphernalia and for most of her life, she collected eggs, shells, and conches. For sure, Petra´s house has slowly acquired the appearance of a nature museum, but first and foremost, it´s a home. Open from June 1st to August 31st, seven days a week from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. Kaffi Sunnó In the year 2015, an old dream came true when Kaffi Sunnó was opened. The guests can buy delicious soups and bread, hot and cold drinks and something sweet.
Maritime Museum
The museum mostly exhibits objects and utensils relating to fishing and seafaring in general. It also displays various reminders of local trade, industry, and medicine from times past. The collection is in a commercial building, “Gamla búð”, built in 1816. Hours of Operation: June, July, and August: 13:00 - 17:00 daily or by arrangement with the manager, tel. 470 9063
Safnahúsið in Neskaupstaður
The museum building "Safnahúsið" in Neskaupsstaður includes 3 museums: Tryggvi CollectionAn impressive introduction to the art of painter Tryggvi Ólafsson from Neskaupstaður.The exhibition offers a cross-section of the well-known artist´s career. Jósafat Hinriksson MuseumExhibition of Jósafat Hinriksson´s collection and maritime and handicraft arts, located in an old graceful warehouse. The Natural History Museum Beautiful collection of Icelandic birds, shellfish and stones.
Technical Museum of the Eastfjords
Tækniminjafn Austusrlands is one of the buildings in Seyðisfjörður that was hit by a landslide in December 2020. As a result, the museum is currently closed, but the museum will open again this summer. The museum´s main focus is on the influx of modern times around 1880 to 1950. Technical innovations in areas such as mechanics, electricity, communications, telephony, commerce, and architecture are interlaced with changes in lifestyle and milieu. We also serve as a museum for Seyðisfjörður local heritage. Exhibitions are animate and seek to recreate the atmosphere of the times they portray. The museum surroundings are an open-air recreation area, outstanding for taking walks and enjoying each other's company. We support a family-friendly policy and work progressively on producing informative settings as well as constructive and worthwhile entertainment for guests of all ages. How to get here The museum is situated on the south shore of Seyðisfjörður town about 800 meters from the town center and about 500 meters from the Ferry Terminal/ Information Center. If you arrive via the mountain road you will cross the first bridge on the right side and drive about 1 km along the shore road, you will find the museum on the left-hand side. Accessibility A large part of our permanent exhibitions are on the ground floor and can be traversed in wheelchairs. The telegraph station has nevertheless been on the upper floor has no access to wheelchairs. None of the museum buildings were originally designed to be accessible to all and therefore present challenges in providing easy and independent access. We will keep working so the access to this space can be guaranteed to everybody
Mjóeyri Travel Service
Mjóeyri Cottages are one of Eskifjörður’s trademarks. They are the charming, red-colored fishing sheds of Norwegian origin. Our cottages are located on the Mjóeyri peninsula, just outside the village, and offer unbelievable tranquility and a stunning view over the fjord and the surrounding mountains. We offer three kinds of cottages of different sizes.  Each cottage is homey and includes equipped kitchens, living area, and bathroom facilities.  TV, bed linen, towels, and free Wifi is available in the cottages.  The biggest cottages are 39m2 and can accommodate 4-6 persons and the smaller, 24m2 and 29m2, can accommodate 2-4 persons.  Breakfast is available upon advanced notice. Dinner is available during the summer season June – September and is served in our restaurant Randúlfs Sea House, about 500 meters from the guesthouse.  The original house was built in 1885. It has been renovated, updated, and newly decorated, and now it bears the mark of the old and the new times. We put our efforts into creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere. From the guesthouse, there is an excellent view of the fjord and the town of Eskifjordur. We offer accommodations in four bedrooms; single, double and twin with joint cooking facilities, a living room, and washroom facilities. All rooms have radio and TV. The premises are a no-smoking area. A spacious veranda lends access to the breakfast room. Bathhouse with sauna, showers, toilets and washing machine is also available for our guests and Jacuzzi in a boat is located in front of the bathhouse.  
Bustarfell Museum
The Museum, i.e.the relics were given to Vopnafjörður by Elín Methúsalemsdóttir in the year 1982.  The houses, on the other hand, were sold to the Icelandic nation in 1943 by Methúsalem Methúsalemsson and are taken care of and preserved by the Icelandic National Museum. The mud and wood floor house contains many treasure-filled rooms, antiques, and sepia-tone photographs,  fitted with fine furnishings, just the same as when the family house lived in, each room, fronted with a timbered gable and all interconnected by a series of low ceiling passages or hallways often only lit by  shark or seal oil  brass lamps . The rooms are as such:  badstofa (living room), baejardyr (front hall) skemma or skali (sheds),  stofur (parlours), hlada (storehouse),  a palli  hjonahus (upstairs master chambers) bur (pantry)  a few eldhus (kitchens) which each tell a story of hard work and determination while reflecting the stages of modernization through the decades. The sheds usually kept horse bridles and saddlery, along with farm tools, such as turf saddles, spades, forks, hoes, and scythes, for work on the tun (home field) and occasionally animal meal and hay. Pantry walls were lined with tubs, barrels, and casks to store sour milk, skyr, and whey. Kitchens contained open fire rock pits,  bowls, dishes, jugs, pots, pans and pails and often from the wooden rafters, hung rows of smoked meat. The Museum shows clearly the lifestyle changes that occurred from the time it was rebuilt until the family moved into the "new house".  Guests can follow the difference in the standards for quality, for example when there came running water into the house, and a heating system. But to see it, feel it and since it is always the best experience.  We welcome you for a visit.
Skaftfell Center for Visual Art
Skaftfell Center for Visual Art is situated in Austurvegur 42 in Seyðisfjörður, in a grand timber house built-in 1907. The house contains the Skaftfell gallery and bookshop on the middle floor, the artist residency apartment on the top floor, and the Skaftfell Bistro and library on the ground floor. Skaftfell’s role is to present, discuss, and encourage the development of contemporary art in East Iceland. The center was founded in the year 1998 by a group of art enthusiasts, the Skaftfell Group, in memory of the artist Dieter Roth (1930-1998) who lived and worked in Seyðisfjörður for periods of time during the last decade of his life. In the Skaftfell Bistro you can find many of his prints and artist books on display. Skaftfell is an important meeting point for artists and locals. The art center’s activities involve exhibitions and events throughout the year, alongside an international artist residency program and an art education program. Every year Skaftfell organizes and hosts seminars with art students in collaboration with the Icelandic Art Academy and other schools and institutions on all school levels. Skaftfell is also the guardian of a minuscule house in Seyðisfjörður, Geirahús, previously owned by the local naive artist Ásgeir Emilsson (1931-1999). Now a tiny museum, Geirahús can be visited by appointment. Another artwork to visit is Tvísöngur, a sound sculpture on the hills of the fjord, developed by Lukas Kühne with Skaftfell in 2012. Since its foundation, Skaftfell has hosted a large number of exhibitions and projects by international, national and local artists, with an emphasis on contemporary art. Skaftfell has an important role in the area as a provider of information and education about art and art-related subjects. In 2013 Skaftfell received the Icelandic Eyrarrósin award for outstanding cultural leadership in a rural area. For opening hours please visit our website  For more information please contact us: skaftfell@skaftfell.is or by phone 00354 4721632.
Fjarðabyggð Cultural Center
Menningarstofa Fjarðabyggðar (Fjardabyggd Cultural Center) was established in 2017, and its role is to support and promote cultural activities in Fjardabyggð. Menningarstofa works with people in cultural life and helps them and encourages good work. Menningarstofa Fjarðabyggðar is committed to ensuring all residents' access to culture and arts, regardless of residence, origin, and socioeconomic status. Menningarstofa is connected with grassroots organizations in culture, such as amateur theatre companies and choirs, and promotes good access to local housing events.  Menningarstofa connects theatre, primary and music schools, museums, and other municipal institutions with professionals from creative industries. Menningarstofa works to increase access to innovative learning and work in collaboration with educational directors, sports and leisure representatives, and the Fjardabyggð Museum-Institute. Furthermore, the Menningarstofa encourages creative processes in schools, cultural and leisure activities in Fjardabyggð. Tónlistarmiðstöð Austurlands is operated by Menningarstofa Fjarðabyggðar. Its Concert Hall, located in Eskifjörður, is very popular for most types of concerts. The music center is well equipped, and the house's soundtrack is excellent, but the design of a building creates visual and acoustic intimacy between performers and concertgoers. The place is also very convenient for various exhibitions, any conference, and meetings. However, the Events of Tónlistarmiðstöð Austurlands are not confined to the hall in Eskifjörður at all, as Menningarstofa Fjarðabyggðar is responsible for music-related events in all of Fjardabyggð.

Other (7)

Icelandic craft - Nema-Hvað Hafnarbyggð 7 690 Vopnafjörður 473-1565
Sænautasel Jökuldalsheiði 701 Egilsstaðir 853-6491
Rare Stone Collection Lambeyrarbraut 5 735 Eskifjörður 476-1177
Myndlistarsafn Tryggva Ólafssonar Egilsbraut 2 740 Neskaupstaður 470-9063
The Jósafat Hinriksson’s Maritime Museum Egilsbraut 2 740 Neskaupstaður 4709000
Nanna´s Memorial Museum Berufjörður 1 765 Djúpivogur 478-8977
Cultural Center - Langabúð Búð I 765 Djúpivogur 4788220