Skip to content

French sailors in Iceland

- Museums

The avant-garde exhibition in The French Museum in Fáskrúðsfjörður is the newest of Fjarðabyggð's museums and collections. This museum is located in two stately buildings, the Doctor's House and the French Hospital as they are called, built by the French fishermen around 1900. However, the main attraction of the exhibition is situated in a tunnel that connects the two buildings. The entrance to the museum is from the hotel reception area in the Doctor's House. 

In the museum, the interesting history and legacy of the French sailors in Iceland is shown by means of the latest multimedia technology.

The French sailors maintained a station at Fáskrúðsfjörður from the mid-19thcentury till the First World War, with the number of French sailing ships off Iceland peaking at between 200 and 300. However, the history of French cod fishing off Iceland goes back even further, all the way to the 17th century.

During this long history, many ships never made it back to their home country. It is estimated that up to 400 of them were lost around Iceland, along with 4,000-5,000 seamen. Down by the French graveyard, a monument has been erected in honour of these heroes of the sea who were subjected to hard work, dampness and cold, not to mention accidents.  

Their fishing operations were highly important for villages on the northern French coast; for example, in Dunkerque in the 1860s, approximately 6,000 people were employed in relation to fishing off Iceland. These operations were also significant for other villages, such as Paimpol and Gravelines.

The renovation of the French heritage buildings, one of the largest historical restoration outside the capitol area, was finished in the summer of 2014. The five French buildings play a substantial role in local culture and society in Fáskrúðsfjörður. The French Hospital, for example, now serves as a hotel with the restaurant l'Abri on the ground floor. The Chapel is the only building that still maintains its original role and is open for guests of the museum.

The museum is open daily from 10:00 to 18:00 (from May to end of August, or by agreement).

French sailors in Iceland

French sailors in Iceland

The avant-garde exhibition in The French Museum in Fáskrúðsfjörður is the newest of Fjarðabyggð's museums and collections. This museum is located in t
Fáskrúðsfjörður Swimming Pool

Fáskrúðsfjörður Swimming Pool

Fáskrúðsfjörður swimming pool is a 12.5-meter indoor pool with a hot tub. The swimming pool was taken into use in 1948, and the architectural style gi
Fáskrúðsfjörður

Fáskrúðsfjörður

Fáskrúðsfjörður dishes up a Gallic surprise in the middle of the Eastfjords: a strong historical connection to France that today is showcased and cele
Fosshotel Eastfjords

Fosshotel Eastfjords

Located on the east coast of Iceland, Fáskrúðsfjörður is celebrated for its majestic nature and beautiful scenery. Fosshotel Eastfjords operates in 4
Fáskrúðsfjörður Campsite

Fáskrúðsfjörður Campsite

The campsite is in a beautiful location by a small pond. It is at the top of the village with good facilities. There are showers, electricity, toilets
Auroras Iceland

Auroras Iceland

In a small village on the east coast of Iceland, TheIcelandic House of the Northern Lights opened in May 2016. You can enjoy thenorthern lights exhibi
The French Graveyard - le cimetiere francais

The French Graveyard - le cimetiere francais

Just outside the Fáskrúðsfjörður town is a monument with the names of 49 French and Belgian sailors who died in Iceland. In 2009, representatives from

Other (2)

Café Sumarlína Búðavegur 59 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður 4751575
Fáskrúðsfjörður Disctict Information Office Hafnargata 12 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður 470-9000