Skip to content

Or try searching by Category and/or Location

Top destinations

The French Graveyard - le cimetiere francais
Just outside the Fáskrúðsfjörður town is a monument with the names of 49 French and Belgian sailors who died in Iceland. In 2009, representatives from the Association of Fishermen of Gravelines arrived at the French Days town festival and delivered new crosses for the graves of the French fishermen. Gravelines is an old fishing town on the north coast of France and the sister town of Fáskrúðsfjörður. During the French Days town festival, two wreaths of flowers are laid at the monument in the French graveyard in memory of the Icelandic and French sailors who have died at sea.
Skrúður is an island in Fáskrúðsfjörður. It is surrounded by high cliffs and is accessible only to the bold and brave. There is a sizable cave on the island, which sailors occasionally used as a shelter when making their way southwards. Legends say three giant brothers were living in Austurland. One made his home in Skrúður, the second in Streitishvarf, and the third on Papey. The Skrúður dweller abducted his wife from the on-shore vicarage of Kolfreyjustaður; she was the local priest´s young daughter. Legends relating to their insular existence lived among the sailors who visited the island.  
Hafnarnesviti lighthouse is not the biggest one but is well worth the hike to get there. There was a small settlement on Hafranes. At some point, 100 people lived there, but most moved away early 20th century, and by 1970, it was completely abandoned. In 1939, the French Hospital was exported to Hafnarnes, and it stood there for about 70 years. The extensive building now forms the core of the French house cluster in Fáskrúðsfjörður.
The vicarage Kolfreyjustaður in Fáskrúðsfjörður dates back to the year 1878 many old and beautiful artifacts are there to be seen. The place swarms with stories and legends.  The troll Kolfreyja lends her name to the site and her fellow troll lived on the island of Skrúður.  
Sandfell is a distinctive 743m. high rhyolite mountain between Stöðvarfjörður and Fáskrúðsfjörður. The best approach is from the south side of Fáskrúðsfjörður. The trail leaves the coastal road between Víkurgerði and Vík farms and proceeds along the Víkurgerðisá River before cutting west for the peak. The scenery is excellent en route, with views of Fáskrúðsfjörður, Andey and Skrúður islands. Powered by Wikiloc
The Vattarnes peninsula is part of a beautiful coastline between Reyðarfjörður and Fáskrúðsfjörður. Vattarnesviti lighthouse is located on Vattarnes. It used to be part of the official way between those two towns, which are now connected by a tunnel. On a good day, choosing the longer way is well worth it.
Vattarnesiviti lighthouse is located on Vattarnes. There has been a lighthouse at Vattarnes since 1912 but the one standing today was built in 1957.  The Vattarnes peninsula is part of a beautiful coastline between Reyðarfjörður and Fáskrúðsfjörður. 
A pleasant hiking trail leads from Vattarnesvegur, on the east side of the urban area on Fáskrúðsfjörður, up along Gilsá. There are numerous beautiful waterfalls on the way and you can walk behind one of them. That waterfall is called Gilsárfoss.  It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the waterfall from the road. Powered by Wikiloc
Statues and Memorials of Fáskrúðsfjörður town
Beautiful statues and memorials. the memorial of the scientist and polar explorer Dr. Charcot is located next to the Doctor´s House at Hafnargata 12. His ship, Pouguois Pas, sank in Straumfjörður in Mýrar in 1936. The memorial of Bergur Hallgrímsson. The memorial stands by the main road through the town, at Búðavegur 36. Bergur was a prominent businessman in the community and, at his time, one of the country´s well-known fisheries operators and herring processors. During the French Days, the Bergur Hallgrímsson Memorial Run takes place. Below Hamarsgata 8, the French erected a memorial for Carl A. Tulinius, who was the French consul in the latter part of the 19th century. The memorial was unveiled on August 28th, 1902.